We offer options for you to complete your school credit or court ordered Community Service. We also offer short-term volunteer opportunities if you’re not able to meet the 6 month minimum commitment of a regular volunteer. Since community service and short-term volunteers do not go through our full volunteer training process, you will have no direct contact with the pets at our shelter.
Community Service Program Parameters:
• School Credit/Short-Term – Must be at least 16 years of age to volunteer independently. Youth volunteers ages 13yrs – 15yrs can volunteer with a parent or guardian.
• Court Ordered – Must be at least 18 years of age.
• Must be able to lift 25 lbs
• Projects include: Laundry, dishes, yardwork, sweeping, mopping, general cleaning, window washing, organizing dog park and play yards, etc.
• Must be able to follow written and oral instructions
Community Service Volunteer Process:
1. Complete a Community Service application online or in person
2. Meet with the Volunteer Coordinator
3. Schedule Community Service with Volunteer Coordinator if approved.
Court Ordered Community Service/Restitution Guidelines
We are happy to accept people that need to complete court ordered community service with a few guidelines:
• We are unable to accommodate community service for individuals if their offense falls into one of the following categories: theft, drugs (any kind), violent crimes or animal cruelty. HSS reserves the right to refuse any application for community service for any reason.
• In addition to the Community Service Program Parameters listed above, those completing court ordered community service must also bring in their original court documents and identification.
• Must complete the Court Ordered Community Service section of the Community Service application.
Who to contact about the Community Service Program:
If you have any questions or need further information, contact our Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com or call (928) 282-4679.